In today’s age, People are suffering from many health issues. While the primary reason for a poor mental health is stress, physical health issues arise from the highly polluted air and the depleting quality of our environment.
The major influence of a polluting environment is on our body – our skin. Particularly our face and hair since they remain unprotected and are under the direct sunlight. We all know that it’s very important to look & feel healthy. But are we really using the right remedies? Well, if you want to be in a good kilter, continue reading this article because we have brought to you an amazing solution.
It’s Peppermint Essential Oil. Yes, it might not be the first time that you’ve heard it. But in this article, we’ll be talking in detail about how Peppermint Essential Oil is made, it’s benefits and how it is one of the most effective essential oil to solve your hair, skin and other problems.
What is Peppermint
Peppermint belongs to the mint family (Lamiaceae) and is an aromatic plant, created from the blending of water mint and spearmint. Not to be confused with other mint plants, peppermint has square stems, smooth dark green leaves and dull oblong clusters of slightly pinkish lavender flowers. It is mostly cultivated in Europe, Asia and North America.
Uses of Peppermint plant
• Fresh leaves are used as herbs in cooking.
• Dried flowers add flavor to candy, desserts, beverages, salads, and other foods.
• The leaf powder is also used in salads and adds flavor to various drinks including purified water.
• Peppermint capsules are used for many health benefits.
So, as we can understand, we can use Peppermint leaves and it’s flowers. But the most important form of it is it’s natural distilled oil, also known as peppermint oil.
What is Peppermint Essential Oil
The Peppermint essential oil is a concentrated oil that is extracted from the peppermint plant (Mentha Piperita) by steam distillation. Fresh or partly dried plant is used to extract the oil before it starts to flower. The oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, insecticidal, antispasmodic, and carminative properties. It also has a very cooling effect (just like mints) due to a highly dominant presence of menthol. And that is what makes it the most powerful!
Uses and Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
• The oil is used as a pain reliever.
• It is used as a mosquito repellent.
• It is used to make natural toothpaste.
• It is used in food items to help recover from many health issues like indigestion, respiratory issues like sinus, unhealthy liver and severe headaches.
• It is also used in aroma therapy.
• The oil is also an energiser. The smell of the oil will pump you up with energy.
• Excellent for hair growth as it increase the local blood circulation on application.
Caution: Since peppermint is very popular and is a expensive oil, there are many who sell cornmint as peppermint as the smell is virtually indistinguishable. Cornmint is very high on menthol and is grown in India and the oil which is extracted from cormint is often sold as peppermint. However the therapeutic value of cormint is very low as compared to peppermint oil.